News: Welcome to Trans Refuge. The site is new and we are still dealing with issues but the site is up and functional. Please spend a few minutes reviewing the site news and information. Enjoy your stay with us.
Katie, Sparkles, Linde and Dena at your service.

Author Topic: Potato Diet  (Read 236 times)

Online Linde

• Your friendly intersex (and please, not intersexed)
  • Administrator
  • Known as Helicopter Mom
Re: Potato Diet
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 05:50:35 PM »
I once worked with a Russian guy on a potato diet, but he always distilled his......

Allie
You mean, you had potato juice?
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Online Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 06:36:55 PM »
You mean, you had potato juice?
Wodka (if you don't get it, watch the movie Red Heat)

Offline Lexxi

• Your Friendly Greeter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 06:58:58 PM »
Yes I'm still on my potato diet, but I was wanting to add a little something to it. So I bought some of that bagged salad at the store. It only has lettuce, some shredded carrots, and something purple and white that I always pick out. I don't know what it is so it's not going in my mouth that's for sure. I usually throw 10 or 11 of those little grape tomatoes in there too, and top it off with some fat-free French dressing.

I do add a couple of bad things to my salads though. I put about a half a cup to a full cup of shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, and 4 slices of very thin sliced ham that I shred. They're so thin that you can actually see light through them, haha.

I never add any potato juice, or wodka, to my meals though. If I did I suppose that would change the whole meal. As far as salt goes I add a very tiny amount to my potatoes, but I don't use it on anything else. In fact I use so little salt that I still have the container of it that I bought when I moved into this apartment 10 years ago. I don't have high blood pressure or anything, but I've always had kind of a bland sense of taste, so I rarely ever add any spices to anything.

I'll be going to my doctor for a physical sometime in the next month and I'm positive he'll be checking my blood sugar, so I'll find out if the potatoes are hurting that. I'm actually kind of curious to see those results to be honest. Of course I'll be posting my results once they come rolling in.

Lexxi

Realized that I'm trans 5/20/19   Got letter for HRT 6/10/19  Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Online Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 07:10:48 PM »
The purple stiff is red cabbage. Just think of it as cold slaw without the dressing. I think the primary reason they put it in there is for crunch and color.

Offline Lexxi

• Your Friendly Greeter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 07:47:20 PM »
Thank you for the info. I threw away the bag after I ate the rest of it, so I had no way to see what it was...at least until I go to the store and get another bag of it. I'm really glad I pick all that stuff out now though, because I hate cabbage. I do have a funny story about cabbage though.

When I was in college I took a Biology class. We were split up into groups and had to do a presentation on a food that goes through some process of biology in its making (or something like that I can't really remember what the project was).

I chose the Korean dish Kimchi. It goes through what I'll describe as a rotting process before it's complete. It's utterly disgusting and smells even worse than that. The way I picked Kimchi was because I saw it on an episode of MASH way back in the day. I knew that you put the stuff in a pot in the ground and let it rot in there before it's ready to gag down.

I wrote the entire presentation myself, did all the PowerPoints, and even wrote a half-assed script for the guy who was going to be doing the presentation. There was a girl in our group who loved to cook and she said she'd make some kimchi for the class to try.

My ex cooked cabbage once so I knew how bad that girl's house was going to smell. When she offered to cook it for the group I asked her if she'd ever cooked cabbage before and she said no. I told her to enjoy her experience. ;D ;D

She really learned an important lesson about volunteering to do stuff that day. She said her house was still stinking and her dad was still mad about it too.  ;D ;D ;D

We're friends on Facebook and we'll chat occasionally and she never fails to bring the Kimchi up when we do.

Lexxi
Realized that I'm trans 5/20/19   Got letter for HRT 6/10/19  Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Online Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 09:55:58 PM »
Lexxi
Cabbage and beans are pretty much the healthiest veggies you can eat!  But the red stuff in your salad mix was very likely Raddichio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radicchio)
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Offline Kirsteneklund7

• Strength Through Vulnerability
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 06:59:45 PM »
Thank you for the info. I threw away the bag after I ate the rest of it, so I had no way to see what it was...at least until I go to the store and get another bag of it. I'm really glad I pick all that stuff out now though, because I hate cabbage. I do have a funny story about cabbage though.

When I was in college I took a Biology class. We were split up into groups and had to do a presentation on a food that goes through some process of biology in its making (or something like that I can't really remember what the project was).

I chose the Korean dish Kimchi. It goes through what I'll describe as a rotting process before it's complete. It's utterly disgusting and smells even worse than that. The way I picked Kimchi was because I saw it on an episode of MASH way back in the day. I knew that you put the stuff in a pot in the ground and let it rot in there before it's ready to gag down.

I wrote the entire presentation myself, did all the PowerPoints, and even wrote a half-assed script for the guy who was going to be doing the presentation. There was a girl in our group who loved to cook and she said she'd make some kimchi for the class to try.

My ex cooked cabbage once so I knew how bad that girl's house was going to smell. When she offered to cook it for the group I asked her if she'd ever cooked cabbage before and she said no. I told her to enjoy her experience. ;D ;D

She really learned an important lesson about volunteering to do stuff that day. She said her house was still stinking and her dad was still mad about it too.  ;D ;D ;D

We're friends on Facebook and we'll chat occasionally and she never fails to bring the Kimchi up when we do.

Lexxi

As we know the western version is sauerkraut, the most fantastic side serve with many meats.Or even vegetarian.
As a child prayed to be a girl and now its happening, - 40 years later !

Offline Lexxi

• Your Friendly Greeter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 11:50:04 PM »
Hi Kirsten,

There's no chance I'd ever eat sauerkraut again. My mom fixed that once when I was younger and she forced both my brother and I to at least try it...neither one of us did. I guess I'll never be a cabbage eater.

xoxo
Lexxi
Started HRT 7/12/19

Online Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 12:09:30 AM »
Hi Kirsten,

There's no chance I'd ever eat sauerkraut again. My mom fixed that once when I was younger and she forced both my brother and I to at least try it...neither one of us did. I guess I'll never be a cabbage eater.

xoxo
Lexxi
I don't know what your mom did to the Sauerkraut, but whenever I or my son had/have to bring  dish to pass, we are asked to do Sauerkraut we do it at the lower Rhineland/Dutch border area.  It is finger licking good, when done right!

Offline Lexxi

• Your Friendly Greeter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 02:21:49 AM »
I really think my taste buds are allergic to anything containing cabbage.
Started HRT 7/12/19

Online Katie

• Transgender evangelical Christian, everything you're not supposed to be...
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 05:23:40 AM »
I like red cabbage, but I don't like sauerkraut.
"Some want to live within the sound
Of church or chapel bell;
I want to run a rescue shop,
Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

"Redeeming love has been my theme,
and shall be till I die".
William Cowper

Online Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 09:10:09 AM »
I like red cabbage, but I don't like sauerkraut.
I have yet to see any American cook preparing sauerkraut properly!  For German speaking people it is nothing but a raw vegetable that needs to be cooked properly in the proper way.  Most Americans, who served sauerkraut to me either served it cold without any preparation, or they simply heat it up a little and slap it onto your plate.  Like any other raw vegetable, it can be prepared in a variety of different ways, which turn it into a delicious part of a dinner.

Offline Kirsteneklund7

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 05:45:51 PM »
All-Creatures.org

Working for a Peaceful World for Humans, Animals and the Environment
Vegan - Vegetarian RecipesBaked Potato Stuffed with Sauerkraut
From All-Creatures.org Vegan - Vegetarian Recipe Book: How Mary and Frank and Friends Eat

"We are dedicated to cruelty-free living through a vegetarian - vegan lifestyle. Let no animal suffer or die that we may live!"
Ingredients
Baked Potato Stuffed with Sauerkraut
4 Potatoes, large baking
1 lb. Sauerkraut (bag or 15 oz. can)
3 tbsp. Mustard, prepared brown spicy
2 drops Smoke Flavor (optional)
Paprika

(To enlarge the photo of the Baked Potato Stuffed with Sauerkraut, click on the photo or link)
Preparation

Baked potato stuffed with sauerkraut is a delightful vegan treat that will serve 4 adults as a main meal or make 8 servings as a side dish. The preparation and baking time in about 40-45 minutes. We have combined the times because the preparation and baking times are overlapping, the longest time being the initial baking time for the potatoes.

To keep the potato skins intact, select large baking potatoes that are free of cuts or bad spots that would have to be cut out. If you are using smaller potatoes, increase the number so that the total weight is about the same.

Thoroughly wash the potatoes under warm water. A vegetable brush is helpful, but be careful not to damage the skins.  With a knife, punch a couple of holes in the top of each potato to allow steam to escape during the baking process.  Bake on a ceramic or metal pan at 350 degrees for one hour.  For a quicker method, bake the potatoes in a microwave oven until they are tender but not mushy (about 20 minutes).

While the potatoes are baking, open the bag or can of sauerkraut and place the contents in a mixing bowl.  Add the mustard and smoke flavor and mix well.
When the potatoes are baked, remove from the oven.  Hold each potato on its side and slice lengthwise to make two half potatoes.  Using a spoon and fork to loosen the inside of the potato, scoop out some of the potato and place it with the sauerkraut.  Leave about 1/4 inch of potato flesh next to the skin, as shown in the photo.  (To enlarge the photo of the potato shell, click on the photo or link)
Using a potato masher, mash the scooped out potato and sauerkraut together, occasionally mixing with a spoon to ensure uniform mashing.

Spoon the mashed potato and sauerkraut mix into the potato shells, pressing down lightly to remove any air pockets, while being careful not to damage the shell.
When all the stuffing is placed in the potato shells, it will be mounded above the shell.  Sprinkle on a little paprika.  Place the stuffed potatoes back on the baking pan and bake for 10 minutes in the microwave over or for about 20 minutes in a conventional oven at 350 degrees. (To enlarge the photo of the baked stuffed potato preparation, click on the photo or link)

Remove from the oven and, for a great meal, serve with a large tossed salad. You can store leftovers in a covered container for a day or two, and warm them up for another great meal.

I really think my taste buds are allergic to anything containing cabbage.

FOOD for thought !

Kind regards, Kirsten.

Offline Donica

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2020, 11:28:03 AM »
Sounds great Kirsten! However, I'm with Lexxi on this on. "I really think my taste buds are allergic to anything containing cabbage." Although, it's not the cabbage that my taste buds are allergic too, it's the sauerkraut I am allergic too. Ever since I was a little girl. Maybe I can substitute the sauerkraut with plain cabbage?

I'll give it a go.
Rebirth June 9, 2017. Started HRT August 22, 2017. Came out June 16, 2017, Full time July 9, 2018. Started FHR August 9, 2018.
Started VFT September 19, 2018, Name and Gender change October 19. 2018, FFS 09/06/2019, Progesterone 10/18/2019.

Offline Kirsteneklund7

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 04:28:28 PM »
Sounds great Kirsten! However, I'm with Lexxi on this on. "I really think my taste buds are allergic to anything containing cabbage." Although, it's not the cabbage that my taste buds are allergic too, it's the sauerkraut I am allergic too. Ever since I was a little girl. Maybe I can substitute the sauerkraut with plain cabbage?

I'll give it a go.

Love it Donica !.

By the way you're looking more lovely these days ! (Very pretty/feminine) you must be happy with how things are panning out !

Is it natural plain cabbage that is so good for the complexion ?

I love plain cabbage with meals too, but I find I must have my sauerkraut ( cooked or straight up ). Great with meals with  sausages.

Friendly regards, Kirsten.