News: We now have over 250,000 page views!

Author Topic: OzGirl's Journey  (Read 894 times)

Offline Perry

Re: OzGirl's Journey
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2020, 10:42:08 AM »
Sorry to intrude on your blog Allie.

@Lexxi

I've seen comments on FTM forums that Biotin will indeed make testosterone levels read high on blood tests. Perhaps it has something to do with external hormone application, not necessarily the type. I dunno. Anyway, the advice I have seen is to stop the Biotin 3 days prior to your blood test to allow for an accurate result. Might be worth a try.

Perry

Offline Linde

• Your friendly intersex (and please, not intersexed)
  • Administrator
  • Known as Helicopter Mom
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2020, 10:56:42 AM »
And here is the entire knowledge what we seem to have of the interactions of Biotin.  There is a reason behind it that my dermatologist told me to stay as low as possible to a daily dose of 1000 mg!

https://www.aacc.org/publications/cln/articles/2016/december/bench-matters-december-2016

And this link shows which lab results might be influenced by the stuff

https://www.ospdocs.com/resources/uploads/files/Biotin%20and%20Labs.pdf
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Email contact through linde@transrefuge.org

Online OzGirl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2020, 02:49:41 PM »
Thank you all , Pamelas charts are just on way we all help each other. Every experience we express here helps someone, even if it is just to know they are not on their own. And we have so much experience and wisdom here to tap into. My gel comes in sachets Pamela, but unsure of the brand, and I have to apply one in the morning and one at night each day. No more patches coming off, and adhesive to scrub off! 

Hugs to all,

Allie
Knew I was a girl in 1958, told my mother. Dressed regularly at home from 2000, started HRT March 2019, FHR Oct 19 Full time Jan 2020, new BC Feb, new p’port March 2020, GRS scheduled for some time in 2021

Offline Lexxi

• Your Friendly Greeter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2020, 05:02:53 PM »
Sorry to intrude on your blog Allie.

@Lexxi

I've seen comments on FTM forums that Biotin will indeed make testosterone levels read high on blood tests. Perhaps it has something to do with external hormone application, not necessarily the type. I dunno. Anyway, the advice I have seen is to stop the Biotin 3 days prior to your blood test to allow for an accurate result. Might be worth a try.

Perry

Thank you so much Perry!! After I made that post I hit the wide world of Google and started reading up on the subject. Most of them recommended stopping for the 3 days you suggested. One of them said it depends on the kind of test they use. This is what it said "Biotin doses of 300 mg/day can falsely increase estradiol levels using biotin-streptavidin capture assays."

I have no idea what test my doctor's office uses.

The Biotin pill I take is 10,000 mcg (micrograms) and that converts to only 10 mg (milligrams)according to Google. So that means I'd be WAY under the 300 they're talking about on that above test.

But to be on the safe side I'm going to continue to inject the same amount of Estradiol that I always do, and for my next labs in May I'm going to stop my Biotin 5 days beforehand. That might be a little bit of overkill, but it really won't hurt anything. After all I'm only taking the stuff in order to help my hair and make my nails stronger. And believe me my nails are so strong I think I could use them to etch something in stone. ;D ;D

Hope you're doing well!! I'll be sending you a long email this week in response to the one you sent to me a while back. ;)

xoxo
Lexxi

@Perry
Realized that I'm trans 5/20/19   Got letter for HRT 6/10/19  Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Offline TonyaJanelle

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2020, 05:38:13 PM »
Thank you so much Perry!! After I made that post I hit the wide world of Google and started reading up on the subject. Most of them recommended stopping for the 3 days you suggested. One of them said it depends on the kind of test they use. This is what it said "Biotin doses of 300 mg/day can falsely increase estradiol levels using biotin-streptavidin capture assays."

The Biotin pill I take is 10,000 mcg (micrograms) and that converts to only 10 mg (milligrams)according to Google. So that means I'd be WAY under the 300 they're talking about on that above test.

@Perry

Don't know if it coincided with my higher readings in the past but I took that much biotin for a while.  Stopped when the bottle was empty since I didn't notice any improvements in my nails. Could explain why they've been lower recently.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Online OzGirl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2020, 06:33:30 PM »
Coronavirus is going to kill me, but not from infection. My doc's office is so busy they didn't fax the prescription to my chemist, as I found out this morning when I went to collect it. The chemist has been overrun with people wanting prescriptions filled in case they get quarantined, so there is at least a 2 day delay in getting prescriptions filled. I need to have a blood test before I can start my new prescription of hormones, but they haven't mailed the referral to me yet, which means I will get it Friday, the day after my trough period, so I will need to stay on patches for another week, but I am out of patches.

Grrr,

Allie
Knew I was a girl in 1958, told my mother. Dressed regularly at home from 2000, started HRT March 2019, FHR Oct 19 Full time Jan 2020, new BC Feb, new p’port March 2020, GRS scheduled for some time in 2021

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2020, 06:37:22 PM »
Coronavirus is going to kill me, but not from infection. My doc's office is so busy they didn't fax the prescription to my chemist, as I found out this morning when I went to collect it. The chemist has been overrun with people wanting prescriptions filled in case they get quarantined, so there is at least a 2 day delay in getting prescriptions filled. I need to have a blood test before I can start my new prescription of hormones, but they haven't mailed the referral to me yet, which means I will get it Friday, the day after my trough period, so I will need to stay on patches for another week, but I am out of patches.

Grrr,

Allie
Can't you get a small quantity as an emergency supply?  They do that her is prescriptions are delayed, or the pharmacy could call your doc?

Hugs
Linde
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Online OzGirl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2020, 08:04:45 PM »
Can't you get a small quantity as an emergency supply?  They do that her is prescriptions are delayed, or the pharmacy could call your doc?

Hugs
Linde

Linde, I should get my supply of new prescription by Friday, so I will just go onto that. It just means I won't get my blood test done to confirm my numbers before switching, but I know they are very low. The important thing is to get on the new hormones. I really need them, my head is so messed up today...

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2020, 09:37:55 PM »
Linde, I should get my supply of new prescription by Friday, so I will just go onto that. It just means I won't get my blood test done to confirm my numbers before switching, but I know they are very low. The important thing is to get on the new hormones. I really need them, my head is so messed up today...

Hugs,

Allie
I agree, you seem to need the juice as fast as you can, who cares what your low values are, you can sense them on your body that they are low. The main ting is that you feel OK again!

Hugs
Linde

Online OzGirl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2020, 03:33:07 AM »
Well, I did get my new prescription on Thursday but I started a higher dose of patches after my last blood test, and after 2 weeks my blood E levels went up. This is encouraging , and next week I will see what 2 weeks on Gel has done, and I will start supplementing the gel with pills. Logic says my levels should keep rising but I've lost some faith in logic. At least my Endo is supportive now, and my last test gives me hope I will get to my target ranges in the next few weeks. My dysphoria hasn't reduced yet, but I expect it will go when I feel some development. I've had a headache 24/7 for 2 1/2 months now, so I am hoping it will improve soon.

Things are stressful at work with planning for a shutdown to include the possibility of euthanising all my animals. I am an aquarist and I look after 25 tanks, most are animals I have cared for for over a decade, including being with sick animals at night and on weekends. To lose them is unthinkable to me and I have fought hard to get euthanasia removed from the plans, and was successful yesterday. My doc needed to eliminate work stress from me so we can tell when my dysphoria reduces, so she placed me on stress leave until my next Endo appointment in 3 weeks.

My new Passport arrived today, not that I am travelling anywhere, but to my joy it is marked 'F' in the sex area!! I aim officially Female. I have to admit, I am amazed that just a year after starting HRT I am living my life as a woman, and I am actually starting to feel comfortable in this role. I still have to wait until May to get my gender changed in my birth certificate.

I was unfortunate my hair appointment was 12 hours after they announced restrictions on hair salons, so I may have to wait months for my new colour and highlights, and my GRS surgery is getting further and further away, but it is a crisis, and my main concern is not to get infected until I get on top of my dysphoria so I have some chance of fighting it.

Stay safe my trans family and Hugs,

Allie

Offline TonyaJanelle

« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2020, 07:52:04 AM »
Great news on the passport.

Logic isn't always part of the human body and medical care so encouraging that you look headed in the right direction there.

Hoping everything goes your way with your shutdown and work. Seems excessive to have to euthanize animals. 

Stay safe

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline Kenna

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2020, 10:55:52 PM »
Allie,
I've become a fan of the gels!  The patches worked for me but left pink marks that took over a week to fade and supplementing them, or a single gel, with sublingual Zumenon sent my levels all over the place, ranging from around 200 to over 1300.  After 6 weeks on 2 gels I was at a comfortable 530. My doctor is happy to wait 3 months for my next test.
 Hugs,
-Kenna

Online OzGirl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2020, 11:37:42 PM »
Allie,
I've become a fan of the gels!  The patches worked for me but left pink marks that took over a week to fade and supplementing them, or a single gel, with sublingual Zumenon sent my levels all over the place, ranging from around 200 to over 1300.  After 6 weeks on 2 gels I was at a comfortable 530. My doctor is happy to wait 3 months for my next test.
 Hugs,
-Kenna

I will have a direct comparison between patches and gels after my blood test next Thursday, but so far I am getting similar feelings to when I started HRT, like things are waking up again, but no strong feeling of development. My breast buds were significant and hard, now they are hard to find, so I have lots of catching up to do. I went up from  E135 to E248 with a dose increase in patches and hope to be in the 300’s by Thursday and above 600 by mid April. My dysphoria is still there, but a little less. Sore breasts would get rid of it. Who’d a thunk I would welcome pain!

Might see you tomorrow at the zoom meeting?

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Kenna

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2020, 12:01:24 AM »
Allie,
I started E at a low dose in June last year but didn't get any levels until I increased the dose in July, and a couple of weeks later stated getting tender breasts, which have continued.  I first notice breast buds in September and my breasts grew until December then stopped and gradually became less tender until a couple of weeks after moving to the 2 gels.  If growth doesn't resume by my next doctor's appointment in June, I'll try adding progesterone, which he said he he would be willing to prescribe, but he emphasised that there's no good scientific evidence of it having an effect on MTF breast growth in spite of there being plenty of anecdotal evidence that it has a positive effect over a few months.

I haven't got my head around Zoom as yet.  I'll have to investigate before tomorrow.  I'll have to for working in any case, as I'm working from home now and somebody there says its better than Skype.

Hugs,
-Kenna

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2020, 12:12:03 AM »
  I'll have to for working in any case, as I'm working from home now and somebody there says its better than Skype.

Hugs,
-Kenna
Not really.  I do group meetings in Zoom and Skype, the quality is about the same, but Zoom has lately a 40 min restriction,Skype has none.  We want to explore the quality of a Discord server for one of our scientific meetings.

Hugs
Linde

Online OzGirl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:21 AM »
Not really.  I do group meetings in Zoom and Skype, the quality is about the same, but Zoom has lately a 40 min restriction,Skype has none.  We want to explore the quality of a Discord server for one of our scientific meetings.

Hugs
Linde

Linde, we had a 2 hour Zoom meeting for our trans group recently, and are having another tomorrow! If your group is more than 10 I think there are fees and time restrictions.

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »
Linde, we had a 2 hour Zoom meeting for our trans group recently, and are having another tomorrow! If your group is more than 10 I think there are fees and time restrictions.

Hugs,

Allie
Alli,
You guys might want to look into alternatives.  I don't know the quality of discord, but they don't have any limits.

Hugs
Linde

Offline Donica

• Loving every minute!
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2020, 12:32:08 PM »
Allie! I have been using Messenger for a lot of our group meetings. They allow up to 50 people at a time. I am not aware of any time limit. The quality is as good as the others. So far we have used messenger for FFLUID and weekly support group meetings. We used ZOOM for last Sundays church services and will be using ZOOM for our monthly PFLAG support group meetings too. We are now using ZOOM for many LGBT classes and other LGBT support groups and events sponsored by the Los Angeles LGBT Center. I've used Skype in the past. I can't comment on how good it is now but I'm sure it has been improved since I last used it.

Hugs!
Rebirth June 9, 2017. Started HRT August 22, 2017. Came out June 16, 2017, Full time July 9, 2018. Started FHR August 9, 2018.
Started VFT September 19, 2018, Name and Gender change October 19. 2018, FFS 09/06/2019, Progesterone 10/18/2019.

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2020, 02:03:37 PM »
When Natalie_Rene, Sparkles and I did the voice support group for trans women, we started out with Discord, but dropped it because of lousy sound reproduction, which we considered very important for what we wanted to do.  We switched to Skype and found it to be superior in their sound reproduction, video was a little choppy. I now participating in an international medical scientists group, and we use Zoom for our daily meetings.  We were now informed that the free meetings restricted to 40 minutes per session.

Hugs
Linde

Offline Kenna

« Reply #99 on: Yesterday at 12:01:18 AM »
Zoom was fairly straight forward :)  Good to catch up, Allie!

I'd read somewhere that it has a feature to create an artificial background - Photoshop style.  I didn't see that option anywhere.  While it doesn't matter for personal use, I'd be more comfortable using that feature if work ever gets round to asking us to use Zoom.
 Hugs,
-Kenna