News: Welcome to Trans Refuge. The site is new and we are still dealing with issues but the site is up and functional. Please spend a few minutes reviewing the site news and information. Enjoy your stay with us.
Katie, Sparkles, Linde and Dena at your service.

Author Topic: What is intersex?  (Read 89 times)

Offline Linde

• Your friendly intersex (and please, not intersexed)
  • Administrator
  • Known as Helicopter Mom
What is intersex?
« on: December 21, 2019, 10:24:10 PM »
To start with, people have intersex conditions/symptomes and are not intersexed like it is very often written.  It is offensive for us, because it brings it into annotation with oversexed, etc.
Intersex is a biological condition in which part of one's biology is male, while another part is female.  There are many different intersex conditions or syndromes, and sometime a person has more than one condition.  Intersex persons very often have some mutations, too.
As many as 50 different medical conditions are included under the "intersex" umbrella.  Not all intersex people have ambiguous genitalia. Many people with intersex conditions have typical genital development. While some intersex persons identify as transgender, many do not identify as any part of the transgender community.

The following is a list of the most common intersex syndromes:

Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (CAIS)

Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (PAIS)

5-alpha-reductase Deficiency (5-ARD)

Swyer Syndrome/ Mixed Gonadal Dysgenesis (MGD)

Leydig Cell Hypoplasia

Persistent Müllerian Duct Syndrome

Hypospadias, Epispadias, Aposthia, Micropenis, Buried Penis, Diphallia

Polyorchidism, Cryptorchidism

de la Chapelle/XX Male Sex Reversal Syndrome

MRKH/Vaginal (or Müllerian) agenesis

XX Gonadal Dysgenesis

Uterus Didelphys

Progestin Induced Virilization

Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH)

Ovo-testes (formerly called "true hermaphroditism")

Kallmann syndrome/ Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (HH)

Aphallia

Aromatase Deficiency

Cloacal exstrophy

Klinefelter Syndrome

Turner Syndrome (or Monosomy X)

Mosaic XY/XO and xy-Turners Syndrome

Triple-X Syndrome (also Tetrasomy X)

Jacobs/XYY Syndrome

Chimera XX/XY

Details about  these conditions/syndromes can be found on this website (http://www.transfaithonline.org/empower/basics/intersex/types/#c4886)

Another site with valuable information on intersex subjects and conditions can be found here:

https://isna.org/faq/frequency/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:04:25 PM by Linde »
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Offline Katie

• Transgender evangelical Christian, everything you're not supposed to be...
  • Administrator
Re: What is intersex?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 07:01:03 AM »
@Linde, thank you for this really great summary of intersex conditions. Hypospadias and epispadias are both present in my family. My nephew was born with hypospadias and had a minor surgery to correct it. My 6 year old son was born with a very minor case of epispadias, which isn't severe enough to require correction. He adapted to aiming just a little differently when urinating and I don't think he is even aware there's anything different about him.
"Some want to live within the sound
Of church or chapel bell;
I want to run a rescue shop,
Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

"Redeeming love has been my theme,
and shall be till I die".
William Cowper

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
Katie, most intersex, or people who are not like the standard people, realize that anything is wrong with us, until we hit(or should hit) puberty, and we find out that we develop different than our peers, or don't change at all.  But even that is not a problem, as long as our difference is not visible.  And as parents, it is best to make no fuss about it, but be loving and protective to your "different" child!
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Offline Lexxi

• Your Friendly Greeter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 05:47:39 AM »
Hi Linde,

I think I have an intersex condition you don't have listed. It's called Mild Androgen Sensitivity Syndrome (MAIS). About the time I turned 9 or 10 I became obsessed trying to figure out why I felt like a girl trapped in a boy's body. For years I just knew that I had "female parts" inside my body. As I got older I learned in school that it was indeed possible for a male to have female parts inside. I just had no way to know if that was the case with me, but I strongly suspected it was. Of course like so many other people like us I never told anyone my suspicions...but it never left my mind.

Once puberty hit my suspicions became stronger when my nipples grew much larger than the other boys, and I also had much wider hips. On top of that I never could grow facial hair like the other guys either, and I didn't have hardly any body hair. All of those things just sealed in my mind that I had female parts inside. I just didn't know what a condition like that was called.

The day I got my driver's license the very first place I drove was to my local library so I could do some research. That was the day I learned the word intersex...and I cried right there in the library because I finally discovered what was wrong with me. My tears dried up though after I realized I just didn't have the symptoms to be intersex. I was heartbroken because I wanted to know why I was the way I was.

I never gave up looking for that answer. This year I think I found out what's wrong with me...it's Mild Androgen Sensitivity Syndrome. I DO have the symptoms of that. Sadly the only way I'll know for sure is to have expensive genetic testing done. I don't know if that will ever happen though. But after living like I am for 50 years I guess I concrete diagnoses won't really change anything.

Oh one more thing. When my mom was pregnant with me she was given a drug to keep from having a miscarriage. That was in 1968 and I'm almost positive that she was given DES. So my condition could be caused by that too. So who knows??

Lexxi
Realized that I'm trans 5/20/19   Got letter for HRT 6/10/19  Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »
Lexxi
Some good swab DNA tests one can purchase, can roughly identify if you are intersex or not.  You have to take a look at the raw data they have for this.  If one considers MAIS to be very close to PAIS, these factor would also pretty much apply to you
Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (PAIS)
In the case of partial insensitivity (PAIS), the external genital appearance may lie anywhere along the spectrum from male to female. Quite a large proportion of those with a diagnosis of Partial AIS (PAIS) turn out, on subsequent investigation, to have a related but distinct condition.

PAIS may also be referred to as Gilbert-Dreyfus Syndrome, Lubs syndrome, Rosewater Syndrome, or Reifenstein Syndrome, as well as partial (or incomplete) testicular feminization or incomplete androgen insensitivity.
Chromosomes: XY

Infant Appearance: Varies. May include enlarged clitoris, small penis, hypospadias, undescended testes.

Puberty: Infertility. Often breasts develop.

Emergency health concerns: None.

Long-term Health Concerns: Testicular cancer.

More Resources:

Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome Support Group (AISSG)
www.aissg.org
Being 50, it might be important to know if something in this spectrum is going on with you, because of the danger of cancer!  Possible cancer was the reason that my orchi was done, cause I had constant strong pain in the tests, luckily, my pain was caused by my condition and the resulting chronic inflammation, and not cancer!
So, be aggressive about this, to make sure that you do not develop any cancer, which, because of the very high blood supply in the nether region can metastasize very easy and fast!

Offline Katie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 02:08:30 PM »
@Lexxi , my experience was nearly identical to yours except that I could grow facial hair and had a normal amount of body hair. Otherwise, same sensations of knowing female organs were present (I knew it at the age of 2), wide hips, abnormally large nipples and gynecomastia. I also had a very feminine looking face until about my mid 20s. And you can tell from my most recent avatar picture that it didn't take much HRT exposure to re-feminize my face. Linde saw it right away the first time we met, but HRT reversed the testosterone induced muscle growth and male fat distribution on my face further and you can clearly see the mostly feminine structure that was always there.
Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

William Cowper

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 06:04:05 PM »
You guys could also have some version of hypogonadism, and should probably be checked for this?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/male-hypogonadism/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354886

Offline Katie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »
@Linde , some of the signs during my development were mixed. I have a mild myostatin disorder that caused me to have higher than normal muscle mass. So I can't say for sure if I had what you describe or not, since one of the indicators is low muscle mass. I was built like a tank.
Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

William Cowper

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
@Linde , some of the signs during my development were mixed. I have a mild myostatin disorder that caused me to have higher than normal muscle mass. So I can't say for sure if I had what you describe or not, since one of the indicators is low muscle mass. I was built like a tank.
Again, to say anything for sure, one has to be analyzed with the help of medical tests.  For most of my life I thought I was a guy, just lookng a little different than the other guys, but now I know that i was not only a little different!

Offline Lexxi

• Your Friendly Greeter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 01:39:36 AM »
I can certainly see what you're talking about @Katie. I don't think my face has feminized too much yet, although I am starting to see flashes of my mother in my face.

I was never super muscular although I had a huge barrel chest. But it was a muscular chest, but big because of my frame. I am starting to lose muscle mass on my shoulders though, and I think they're looking a lot skinnier.
Realized that I'm trans 5/20/19   Got letter for HRT 6/10/19  Came out to my mom 6/18/19
Started HRT 7/12/19