News: Welcome to Trans Refuge. The site is new and we are still dealing with issues but the site is up and functional. Please spend a few minutes reviewing the site news and information. Enjoy your stay with us.
Katie, Sparkles, Linde and Dena at your service.

Author Topic: The dangers of conversion therapy  (Read 92 times)

Offline Katie

• Transgender evangelical Christian, everything you're not supposed to be...
  • Administrator
The dangers of conversion therapy
« on: February 12, 2020, 05:08:44 PM »
I keep a somewhat active profile on Quora, and this popped up in my feed today. Although it was written about homosexual conversion therapy, it’s very likely that the “boy” was really a transgender girl and ended up killing herself later in life because of the suffering endured during this treatment.

This “experiment” isn’t very different from what I or a lot of others have experienced with parents who didn’t understand gender dysphoria and gender identity. I remember vividly the conflicts as a child from when my feminine behavior was noticed by my parents or others.

https://qr.ae/TzYpao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Some want to live within the sound
Of church or chapel bell;
I want to run a rescue shop,
Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

"Redeeming love has been my theme,
and shall be till I die".
William Cowper

Offline OzGirl

• Global Moderator
Re: The dangers of conversion therapy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:51:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this Katie!  It is so important for trans people to recognise they have a medical  condition which needs medical treatment. Then they need to get this message through to those close to them.

Allie
Knew I was a girl in 1958, told my mother. Dressed regularly at home from 2000, started HRT March 2019, Full time April 2020, GRS scheduled for January 2021

Offline Linde

• Your friendly intersex (and please, not intersexed)
  • Administrator
  • Known as Helicopter Mom
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 05:55:49 PM »
I keep a somewhat active profile on Quora, and this popped up in my feed today. Although it was written about homosexual conversion therapy, it’s very likely that the “boy” was really a transgender girl and ended up killing herself later in life because of the suffering endured during this treatment.

This “experiment” isn’t very different from what I or a lot of others have experienced with parents who didn’t understand gender dysphoria and gender identity. I remember vividly the conflicts as a child from when my feminine behavior was noticed by my parents or others.

https://qr.ae/TzYpao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, something sounds fishy there "doctoral student George A. Rekers led the clinic."  I do not think that the UCLA would allow a doctoral student to run an entire clinic.  He may have been doing some group there, for his doctoral thesis.  Or he might have have done his postdoc there, and publishing is a big thing for that.

I always wonder when one biased writer writes about a subject they are biased about?

But generally spoken, the kid was lucky that they did not do electroshock therapy with him, which was still very common during this time.
We do not know if this was the reason for the suicide, because homosexuality was not allowed in the US forces during this ime.  All the gay people had to be losettet, and that might have been to much for him?

It is sad!
Linde
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Offline MadameDuFromage

• I identify as meat popsicle
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:47:07 PM »
A grad student in charge of experiments involving human subjects?  I'm definitely with Linde in being extremely suspicious.

While the "treatment" described definitely sounds like something that probably did happen, some details aren't quite right.

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:49:39 PM »
A grad student in charge of experiments involving human subjects?  I'm definitely with Linde in being extremely suspicious.

While the "treatment" described definitely sounds like something that probably did happen, some details aren't quite right.
I bet it was some kind of postdoc project, and he wanted it because he needed to publish!  That would have been an almost never ending resource for great papers to write!

Hugs
Linde
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Offline Michelle_P

• High femme sapphic queer human
    • Michelle Paquette - Cooking while trans
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 02:50:46 AM »
 He did publish, and claimed success.  Tormenting his victim Into hiding their authentic self and behaving so as to avoid punishment often works.

I was put through medically supervised ‘reparative therapy’ at age 16, tried and failed at suicide, and had to deal with chronic clinical depression and anxiety for decades.

=====
Michelle P.
High Femme Sapphic Queer Human

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 12:55:42 PM »
He did publish, and claimed success.  Tormenting his victim Into hiding their authentic self and behaving so as to avoid punishment often works.

I was put through medically supervised ‘reparative therapy’ at age 16, tried and failed at suicide, and had to deal with chronic clinical depression and anxiety for decades.

=====
Michelle P.
High Femme Sapphic Queer Human
It is almost ridiculous how the pressure to publish is upon anybody who wants to work in academia.  I  worked in a non academia lab, and we did not have much pressure to publish.  Our research papers were used for the company literature that was published, but the pressure was not nearly as bad as they have in academia.  My ex was a prof, and if she did not regularly publish, she was looked unfavorable at by the academic world.

It bet this person was praised for his research paper, but nobody ever checked up on the long term result of this experiment!  We, in our labs, had to keep long term in mind, and that is why we had our own pig farm to keep the animals alive and comfortable for as long as possible, to obtain long term data!

Michelle, reading this, I am glad that I tried to be a guy at that age, and everybody supported me with that effort.  I can't even imagine, how horrible it must have been for you!

Hugs
Linde