News: Welcome to Trans Refuge. The site is new and we are still dealing with issues but the site is up and functional. Please spend a few minutes reviewing the site news and information. Enjoy your stay with us.
Katie, Sparkles, Linde and Dena at your service.

Author Topic: Learning about bras  (Read 92 times)

Offline Katie

• Transgender evangelical Christian, everything you're not supposed to be...
  • Administrator
Learning about bras
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »
I have been on a search for bras that fit me (not easy because of big rib cage). I came across something called a bralette cami at Walmart that fits great and is super comfortable and was in stock.

Shopping for bras is one of the most complicated shopping experiences I have ever had. It’s like shopping for a house. There are so many different styles, different materials, and functional features to learn about.

This is the website image for what I ended up getting, except mine is a ribbed material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Some want to live within the sound
Of church or chapel bell;
I want to run a rescue shop,
Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

"Redeeming love has been my theme,
and shall be till I die".
William Cowper

Offline Linde

• Your friendly intersex (and please, not intersexed)
  • Administrator
  • Known as Helicopter Mom
Re: Learning about bras
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 03:04:37 PM »
Most braclettes do not give much, if any, support.  You don't need that support currently, but you have t be aware that they are more "decorative" than supportive.
If I want to cover more, I wear a cami (camisole) over my normal bra.  They are kind of the undershirt that allow you to show some skin.

Hugs
Linde
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Offline Lady Sarah

• I love my husband
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 06:20:31 PM »
Just wait until you learn how much you loathe underwires, yet search for support.

Offline Iztaccihuatl

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 08:33:57 PM »
I have been on a search for bras that fit me (not easy because of big rib cage). I came across something called a bralette cami at Walmart that fits great and is super comfortable and was in stock.

Shopping for bras is one of the most complicated shopping experiences I have ever had. It’s like shopping for a house. There are so many different styles, different materials, and functional features to learn about.

I personally find cosmetics shopping far more difficult and daunting than bra shopping. What worked for me pretty well was to take my underbust measurements (where the pectoral muscles end), round it up to the next even number and add 2 and that would be the band size. As for the cup size, well, we are in a unique position that we can choose our cup sizes if we plan to fill the bra with breast forms.

My issue is that my band size is 44 (yes, huge rib cage) and there is no way I can find a 44AA bra. There are a few 44A's out there (I even have found one push-up in that band size), a few more 44B's, but the majority of bras in that band size are C-DDD. Women with small boobs and huge rib cages don't seem to exist in the fashion industry's eyes...

Offline Katie

• Transgender evangelical Christian, everything you're not supposed to be...
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:44:13 PM »

I personally find cosmetics shopping far more difficult and daunting than bra shopping. What worked for me pretty well was to take my underbust measurements (where the pectoral muscles end), round it up to the next even number and add 2 and that would be the band size. As for the cup size, well, we are in a unique position that we can choose our cup sizes if we plan to fill the bra with breast forms.

My issue is that my band size is 44 (yes, huge rib cage) and there is no way I can find a 44AA bra. There are a few 44A's out there (I even have found one push-up in that band size), a few more 44B's, but the majority of bras in that band size are C-DDD. Women with small boobs and huge rib cages don't seem to exist in the fashion industry's eyes...
Thanks for the heads up. Cosmetics is the next adventure on the list for me.

I'm somewhat lucky. My band size is 40 and my cup size is about a B. There are 40B bras that exist, but you can't find a store that stocks them. I can special order one, but I needed something faster than that.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

"Some want to live within the sound
Of church or chapel bell;
I want to run a rescue shop,
Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

"Redeeming love has been my theme,
and shall be till I die".
William Cowper

Offline OzGirl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 01:07:50 AM »
I just went to K mart, grabbed a few bras and tried them on. I did know my band size as I have been wearing bras with forms for the last 20 years. I established I was a B cup, but they were not available in my band size (38) but were in 36, so I also bought extenders. Unfortunately, all the bras in my size are underwire, which is a pain (often literally) but I can wear them my whole working day. I did start out with sports bras, but as I grew, they seemed to put pressure on my breasts, and are uncomfortable when I am sore.

Allie
Knew I was a girl in 1958, told my mother. Dressed regularly at home from 2000, started HRT March 2019, Full time April 2020, GRS scheduled for January 2021

Offline pamelatransuk

• Transitioning and Enjoying Every Moment of it
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 04:50:54 AM »
Hello again Katie

I wore bralettes or bras for 40 years mainly for decorative purposes as Linde says.

When I started my transition in 2017, I was mainly wearing tee shirt bras.

However as I have recently seen more breast development (to my surprise) and as I have been fulltime since last June, "supportive" is now much more relevant to me and hence I wear "push up bras" size 38C.

Wishing you success as you further explore bras/bralettes.

Hugs

Pamela  xx
HRT 8th February 2018
Fulltime 29th June 2019

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »
now much more relevant to me and hence I wear "push up bras" size 38C.

Hugs

Pamela  xx
I don't like push ups a lot.  Somehow all car manufacturers decided to route their seatbelts in such a way that they sit partially on the very lower section my right boob.  With my movement in the seat because of vehicle movement, the push up section is solid enough to be pushed by the belt slowly up on my breast, and after a long ride, the lower edge of the cup sits almost on top of my nipple, which is not really fun to experience (specifically not, because most of the push up bras have an underwire).
Non push ups with soft padding stay in place, and don't try to cut my boob in half!

Hugs
Linde
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Offline OzGirl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 10:41:15 AM »
Yes Linde, but in low cut tops when you haven’t got much boob, they are a godsend! My pushup bra makes me look great, but for some reason, it’s itchy.

Allie
Knew I was a girl in 1958, told my mother. Dressed regularly at home from 2000, started HRT March 2019, Full time April 2020, GRS scheduled for January 2021

Offline MadameDuFromage

• I identify as meat popsicle
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
Lane Bryant is a good source for 40B bras, and it looks like there's an outlet not terribly far from you Katie.  They aren't particularly cheap but they are comfy and good quality.

Trying to measure yourself for a bra can be frustrating because your lat muscles flex when lifting your arms up and give you an inaccurate measurement. 

Offline Donica

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 02:29:13 PM »
Hi Katie! Indeed bras are the worst to shop for. Each manufacturer is different too. Some makes, you have to add 4 inches to you under bust measurement, and some you don't. I've also learned that the actual cup size changes as the band size changes. So a 42A actual cup size is much larger and a 38A actual cup size. I've found that Bare Necessities Glamorise bras in 44A works best for me. But you have to add 4 inches to your under bust measurement. (My under bust measurement is 40 inches). Another brand I love is Victoria Secrets bras. You don't have to add 4 inches to their band size but, good luck finding a 40A. Most brands do not have smaller cup sizes in 40 inch and up band sizes. It's hit and miss. The best way is to find a bra style/brand that you like and go in for a personal fitting. I took a chance and ordered another bra online from HerRoom in size 40B (that's the smallest cup size they had). What I got was a perfect band size but, the actual cup size was like a DD. I could put a large cantaloupe in each cup. Go figure?

Good luck!   
Rebirth June 9, 2017. Started HRT August 22, 2017. Came out June 16, 2017, Full time July 9, 2018. Started FHR August 9, 2018.
Started VFT September 19, 2018, Name and Gender change October 19. 2018, FFS 09/06/2019, Progesterone 10/18/2019.

Offline Linde

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 03:31:24 PM »
What I got was a perfect band size but, the actual cup size was like a DD. I could put a large cantaloupe in each cup. Go figure?

Good luck!   
Donica, I found pretty good fitting bras at Target, and (drum roll) at Walmart, but only at Walmart in Minnesota, not here in Florida. 
This seems to confirm my theory that nordic females are bigger, but not as busty as the more Lation types around here.
I found a few very nice and comfy 40 B, and later 40 C bras in Walmart and also at Target.  Some brands fit me when i buy 38 D, and 38 D is mostly comfy with a band extender.

Hugs
Linde