News: We now have over 100,000 page views!

Author Topic: A few things I noticed so far.  (Read 513 times)

Online Thessa

Re: A few things I noticed so far.
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 12:46:14 PM »
I can't help you, we did set the forum specifically up so we can't look into PM's.  If it is done with Tapatak, maybe Katie can help you, cause she played around with this a little.

I just got an answer from one of the recipients of one of the messages.
So it looks like they are sent but not displayed in the Sent Items

Edit:
Mystery solved: There is a small checkbox I overlooked!
It says "Save a copy in my outbox"

Offline Katie

• Transgender evangelical Christian, everything you're not supposed to be...
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2019, 02:54:37 PM »
I just replied to some PMs and it said that they were sent but I have nothing in my Sent Items.
Is this normal or a bug or did I sent my answers to /dev/null?  ;)

@Thessa , there is a check box that says "save copy to sent messages". Make sure that box is checked, otherwise you won't be able to see your sent messages. It should be checked by default.

Do you know how to access your sent messages? The mailbox system is not very intuitive.
"Some want to live within the sound
Of church or chapel bell;
I want to run a rescue shop,
Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

"Redeeming love has been my theme,
and shall be till I die".
William Cowper

Offline MadameDuFromage

• I identify as meat popsicle
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
"Cheese lady"? I dont know French much at all but is not that what your screen name means?

Yes.

As to the "why?" of the situation?  It sounded amusing at the time.

Offline Linde

• Your friendly intersex (and please, not intersexed)
  • Administrator
  • Known as Helicopter Mom
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 03:28:52 PM »
Yes.

And here I am, a cheese lover and former Wisconsinite, the state in which beer and cheese flows, and I thought you would be our resident cheese expert!
If life deals you lemons, make the best out of them, make lemonade, or put them into your bra to make it look like you have big boobs!

Offline TonyaJanelle

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 04:03:30 PM »
Yes.

It does sound impressive if you say it with the proper French accent.
And here I am, a cheese lover and former Wisconsinite, the state in which beer and cheese flows, and I thought you would be our resident cheese expert!
I don't profess to be a cheese connoisseur but as a lifelong cheesehead, I do know something of cheese.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline Kirsteneklund7

• Strength Through Vulnerability
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 10:54:27 PM »
Yes.

Should I say Madame or Mademoiselle ? I have a feeling you are familiar with this sketch. I had to put it here to get your take on it. If you lived in Darwin this Cheese Shop would not be unusual.

Warm regards, Kirsten.
As a child prayed to be a girl and now its happening, - 40 years later !

Online Thessa

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 04:24:03 AM »
@Thessa , there is a check box that says "save copy to sent messages". Make sure that box is checked, otherwise you won't be able to see your sent messages. It should be checked by default.

Do you know how to access your sent messages? The mailbox system is not very intuitive.

Thanks Katie!
I found it yesterday but it wasn't check per default.
Now that I know it it's ok - not intuitive - but ok  ;)

Offline Kiera

• "Landed Airline Gentry"
    • Blogs: Second Type Forums
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »
It's as safe as any website using Simple Machines software.

Which has been a source of ongoing concern for me. I have been considering swapping to a more secure forum software given what I have learned about SMF.

I've got a new, clean install version of Vb 3.8.12 not using other than for debug and testing purposes . . it's considered "End of Life" not supported so unsure if "licensing" still required or not. Main thing is what php version is your server currently using and if "legacy" is available for use 'cause php 7.0+ ain't gonna fly!

Is THAT what Dena is indeed struggling with now? lol I'm running 3.8.2 dating back to '06 with php 4.5 and NO PROBLEMS at all! Perhaps should consider a different server host? Sorry but "old stuff" definitely better!

Oh forgot! Your "millennial" membership (achm - and certain "admins") ain't good with "complicated", high-powered software!
'But it's no use now', thought poor Alice, 'to pretend to be two people'
'Why there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person'

( Lewis Carrolls' "Down The Rabbit Hole" )

Offline Katie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 03:36:04 PM »
      I've got a new, clean install version of Vb 3.8.12 not using other than for debug and testing purposes . . it's considered "End of Life" not supported so unsure if "licensing" still required or not. Main thing is what php version is your server currently using and if "legacy" is available for use 'cause php 7.0+ ain't gonna fly!

Is THAT what Dena is indeed struggling with now? lol I'm running 3.8.2 dating back to '06 with php 4.5 and NO PROBLEMS at all! Perhaps should consider a different server host? Sorry but "old stuff" definitely better!

Oh forgot! Your "millennial" membership (achm - and certain "admins") ain't good with "complicated", high-powered software!

I wouldn't characterize myself as good at anything software related.
Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

William Cowper

Offline TonyaJanelle

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 04:43:54 PM »
Re Tapatalk

I can read there again but now get an error message trying to log in.  Is there a trick I need to do?

Offline Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 05:06:02 PM »

We are running Simple machines 2.0.17 which is compatible with the 7+ versions of PHP. My home install will run Apache 2.4.42 and PHP 7.3.8 so I will be on the bleeding edge. The problem is all the mods have to be removed before upgrading Simple Machines or the mods end up half installed.  Unfortunately Tapatalk was installed at the time of the grade. I think I know how to fix it but I am not sure my security level is high enough to do it. As I haven't done this type of work before, I am pretty nervous about attempting the fix on a live site. One of the reasons for setting the site on my own system is so I can test and destroy stuff without harming the main site.

Apache I have worked with but the new part is using names instead of Ip addresses. I use no-ip.org and they threw in a few wrinkles I didn't expect. PHP is new but there wasn't much to it. MySQL, well what can I say about it. Anything that takes a box of computer paper to print the instructions might be a little overly complicated. Simple machines doesn't install unless My SQL is right so back a step to address that. Fun Fun Fun. I will get it all figured out but it's taking longer that I want. Only good thing is my MAC is a brute so I should have any problems with what ever I throw at it.

Offline Kenna

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 01:53:34 AM »
Just FYI, I noticed a curious difference between when I was browsing the site before and after registering.  Before registering some punctuation such as apostrophes and inverted commas seemed to be displayed as several junk characters but I haven't noticed that at all since registering.  I wondered if it had anything to do with pasting text from Word, as it only seemed to happen with some people.

At another place I received an email every time someone posted to a group that I had posted in.  I really liked thisfeature: can it be done here?  Or do I miss out as a Newbie?

Likewise, suspect that its because I'm a newbie, there's almost no scope for entering any info in my profile.  Is that the case?

Offline OzGirl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 02:08:23 AM »
Kenna, I've noticed some garbled text from time to time and I think it is bugs that Dena keeps fixing, not due to your member status. I never got e mails when another post was made on a thread I had posted in on that other site, only when a pm was sent. I don't get e mails with PM's here so that may be something that staff can look at.

Allie
Knew I was a girl in 1958, told my mother. Dressed regularly at home from 2000, started HRT March 2019, Full time April 2020, GRS scheduled for January 2021

Offline Dena

• Guru/Village Idiot
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 03:44:11 PM »
I am aware of the grabbed text issues and I am not sure what happened. We had a data base corruption and something, I am not sure what resulted in the garbled text. It might have been related to changing the site character set but that is only a guess. Hopefully it was a one time occurrence but if it happens again on newer posts, let me know.

The sites ability to send emails is still an issue. I have asked for help and may have a solution that I will try in the next few days. It's something quirky about the host we are running on but the information I need isn't available so there is a fair amount of guess work as to what the fix is. I think the problem is isolated to about 10 lines of code and once the fix is found, it shouldn't be difficult to fix.  Email is a top priority issue but there is one thing that will not work. The hosting company will not permit emails to be sent to another member. It has to do with an anti spamming patch where the sender's email address must be contain our domain. This makes any email sent from the hosting company completely traceable so it's not possible to use the hosting company to send untraceable spam. With the PM system, we should be able to live without that feature as PMs can send an email once emails are working.

Offline Katie

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 03:58:12 PM »
SMF doesn't seem to be optimized for use on cloud based hosting.  It also seems limited by the need to use certain themes to utilize mod packages that would be very nice to have. I am strongly considering evaluating other software platforms.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Within a yard of hell".
C.T. Studd

William Cowper